Standard or "Generic" Codes
Standard or "generic" codes (sometimes called "P codes") are a set of standardized diagnostic codes that turn on the check engine light and will be readable on any OBDII compatible vehicle regardless of the year and model.
Standard codes generally cover the engine and emissions equipment and will report issues such as misfires, evap leaks, failing O2 sensors, etc.
Enhanced or Manufacturer Codes
Enhanced codes cover all non-engine related vehicle systems, including:
- Body Control Module (lights, turn signals, doors, etc)
- Transfer case/4WD/AWD
- P Codes - Powertrain related (enhanced engine codes, transmission, etc)
- C Codes - Chassis systems (ABS, suspension etc)
- B Codes - Body codes (BCM, HVAC, SRS, Stereo, etc)
- U Codes - Generally electrical/vehicle network related (e.g. modules no longer responding, etc)
To check what codes are supported on your vehicle, enter your year, make, and model here!